[Savannah-dev] proposal to enhance security

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: [Savannah-dev] proposal to enhance security
Date: 30 Mar 2003 13:20:44 +0200

Hi,

I think we can enhance the "lost password system".

Thomas Bushnell noticed the possibility to crack the password system:
        - someone use the lost password tool
        - he sniff packets the server send, especially on port 25
        - he get the mail with the hash. The connection is not
          crypted.
        - even if we add ssl support to exim, we cannot predict that
          all servers from savannah to the user MDA will have ssl
          support

But the consequences of this holes are not as big as Thomas said, in
my opinion:
        - it's not a bug that makes savannah particulary insecure
          by comparison to sf.net, as it works the same on sf.net
        - even if someone crack an account, he cannot do what he
          really want to easily. Every actions are locked. And
          users got a cvssh.
        - if he crack an account of someone who got shell access
          it can be critical, as he can change ssh keys...

So:
        - I added previously a mail() call to savannah-hackers to tell
          us about lost password usage
        - I propose to promote usage of gpg: if someone add his gpg
          key for his account, we will not use the sf.net original
          password command with an hash sent, but we will directly
          send him his password, crypted by gpg. It easier to deal
          with (unrequired complication leads to failure) and it is
          really secure.
        - Once this feature is implemented (I'll add a perl script
          to do this - php will be able to call him) we'll post a
          message on the savannah front page. We'll also send a mail
          to people listed in /root/README.login

Objections? Ideas?

Regards,

--