[Savannah-dev] [Bug #2369] Commits in Emacs CVS does not go to emacs-co

From: nobody
Subject: [Savannah-dev] [Bug #2369] Commits in Emacs CVS does not go to emacs-commit list
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 15:03:05 -0500

=================== BUG #2369: LATEST MODIFICATIONS ==================
http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=detailbug&bug_id=2369&group_id=11

Changes by: Jaime E. Villate <address@hidden>
Date: 2003-Jan-23 20:03 (GMT)

            What     | Removed                   | Added
            Category | CVS                       | Mail
          Resolution | None                      | Later
         Assigned to | None                      | villate

 "It would be a nice feature request for Savannah that
  project developers with CVS write access are automatically
  subscribed via Mailman to the <project>-commit list."

There are several problems with that idea. I think it is better to let every
developer decide whether he/she wants to
receive commit e-mail notifications. It is also better to let
mailman check whether it can reach the e-mail address of the subscriber, going
through the normal registration procedure.
Also, not all projects decide to use a <project>-commit list  to send commit
notifications; they currently can choose the name of that list and making all
projects change their list names to some standard would be very hard.

I think it is better to let the administrator of each project take care of it.
For instance, the admininstrator of Emacs should either open the emacs-commit
list or subscribe all of the project developers to it; that should be a project
policy and not a Savannah policy. What we can do is add a warning when a new
list is created, telling the administrator about this posible problem if the
list is used
for CVS commit notifications.

In the case of Emacs try to see whether the problem is really due to the list
having been closed. If it is not,
get in touch with address@hidden because the problem might
be at mail.gnu.org. Please keep us posted so we can close
this bug when it is resolved.

=================== BUG #2369: FULL BUG SNAPSHOT ===================

Submitted by: jhd                     Project: Savannah
Submitted on: 2003-Jan-22 17:51
Category:  Mail                       Severity:  5 - Average

Original Submission:  When I check in a file in Emacs CVS, no mail in
address@hidden is generated.  Isn't that supposed to happen automatically?  It
works for other users.

Follow-up Comments
*******************

Date: 2003-Jan-23 18:22             By: jhd
ust looking
at the ChangeLog in src/ and compare it to emacs-commit archive shows
that emacs-commit is lacking entries for
2003-01-18  Stefan Monnier  <address@hidden>
2003-01-15, 14 and 13  Francesco Potortì  <address@hidden>
2003-01-13  Dave Love  <address@hidden>
2003-01-13  Richard M. Stallman  <address@hidden>
2003-01-10  Andreas Schwab  <address@hidden>

and so on.  Something is not working.

Date: 2003-Jan-23 18:08             By: jhd
If you look at the emacs-commit archives, you can see that checkins I did in
March 2002 came into the list.  Since then I changed e-mail address, maybe that
is relevant.

I have not subscribed to emacs-commit ever.

Date: 2003-Jan-22 22:03             By: alexl
I suspect that emacs-commit is a subscriber-only list, so that only subscribers
can post.  Since the CVS e-mail messages go out with the e-mail address that
you used to sign up to Savannah with, if that address is not subscribed to
emacs-commit your e-mail will bounce.  It should bounce to the emacs-commit
administrator and by now I would have thought that they would realise that you
need to be subscribed so that your changes appear on the list, and subscribe
you (and you should have probably received a bounce as well).

I run a Savannah (nongnu) project that has a CVS commit list and when I added a
new developer to the project, their commit messages bounced for the same
reason.  It would be a nice feature request for Savannah that project
developers with CVS write access are automatically subscribed via Mailman to
the <project>-commit list.

CC list is empty

No files currently attached

For detailed info, follow this link: