[Savannah-dev] Re: Thanks for the warning

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: [Savannah-dev] Re: Thanks for the warning
Date: 22 Jan 2003 18:04:59 +0100

Derek FEICHTINGER <address@hidden> a tapoté :

> Hi, Mathieu
>
> > Did you submit your modifications to Jaime?
> > It would be nice if we could benefit from your modifications.
>
> We would like to discuss our modifications with you, Jaime and the other
> developers. Probably you will not want to adopt all our changes, so we are
> trying to separate them into a number of thematical patches.

Basically, currently Jaime, Laurent Julliard and I are the only people
that develop Savannah.
Laurent basically only work on the bug tracker/task tracker.

> We will try to document the changes and all the implications we can
> think of, but it would be good to have expert advice from the GNU
> Savannah team. Maybe you have some suggestions on how to make
> modifications more generic or we could decide together on making
> some more significant changes (we tried not to change central parts
> or database structures, but in some cases we would have liked to
> have additional data base fields to configure some options on a per
> group basis instead of a per group type basis).

I had the same problem, since the basis remain SF 2.0.

It would be nice to discuss this kind of modifications.

> Probably it would be easier if Frederik and I signed up as
> developers to GNU Savannah as you had already suggested. I think the
> active version on gnu is always based on the CVS HEAD, so you don't
> seem to use release tags. If a developer makes some changes and
> commits them, does he contact you in order to upload them into the
> active version?

As I said, there only few people that directly make commits on the
CVS, and they all have root access on the server.

> Do you have a test installation where one can make sure whether
> everything works as it should in the context of your site layout?

Usually, people try at home. But Savannah installation is pretty
complex (different domain names etc) so we cannot at home test
everything. But it works. We generally try to commit  only working
stuff.

There are sometimes things broken but we fix them directly, since it's
normally minor bugs impredictibles due to the complexity of the
savannah installation on sv.gnu.org.

So if you want to commit on the CVS, you just have to test your work
before at home. If it works for you, commit, with an explicit log
message. I (or Jaime or someone else) will make the update and fix
potential troubles directly.

> The major modifications (besides minor fixes and changes) we have
> implemented or are implementing consist of:
>
> - new FAQ module (backwards compatible, but allows you to specify an order
> for
> the entries. Can be located in the users download area).

Seems very nice. That would allow user to make their own FAQ and it
was the idea of the FAQ from the start (but I stopped working on it
because group type stuff was more important at this time).

> - mail interface to majordomo (maybe not so interesting for you)

Do you made it modular? What we have to do it to make support of
external stuff modular. So savannah should be working either with
majordomo or mailman, or any other mail interface as long as someone
wrote a module for it.

> - easier user to project sign up and user administration (including
> the possibility to add huge numbers of users to projects via an
> uploaded file).  This was requested by many of our users.

I would like to see how it works.

> - possibility to let users be authenticated via PAM (used for our
> AFS accounts).

Nice.

> We should be finished with these changes by the end of next week. We
> will contact you then on how to proceed.

Fine.

Regards,

--
Mathieu Roy