[Savannah-dev] crypt(3) DES/MD5 support with SQL

From: Loic Dachary
Subject: [Savannah-dev] crypt(3) DES/MD5 support with SQL
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 17:27:18 +0100

        Hi,

        When using SQL auth the password is encrypted using
md5(password). This patch add support for crypt(3) with both DES and
MD5. The current encryption method remains the default so that
installed databases do not break.

        Why would someone want to use crypt(3) ? For instance it
allows to use the phpgroupware database with nss_mysql so that shell
accounts and/or cvs over ssh are authentified by phpgroupware
accounts.

        You'll find the patch at:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=476807&group_id=7305&atid=307305

        I took care to code this so that existing databases are not
impacted by the change. However, since it's in a rather sensitive
area, I would appreciate feedback before applying the changes to the
CVS tree.

        Cheers,

75019    Paris         T: 33 1 42 45 09 16          address@hidden