Packaging Help needed - Debian/Devuan/Ubuntu and Homebrew + testing week

From: EricZolf
Subject: Packaging Help needed - Debian/Devuan/Ubuntu and Homebrew + testing weekly
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2023 16:02:21 +0100

Hi,

a few things from your favorite open source maintainer:

1. it's been two months since rdiff-backup 2.2.6 has been released, and Debian & Co is still stuck at 2.2.2 @Otto had asked for volunteers to support his packaging effort, so if you care about those (important) platforms, please step up and liaise with Otto [1] on this topic.

2. if anybody has special power on Homebrew, it would be nice if you could help expedite [2] resp. [3] so that we get rid of this disturbing version 2.4.0 (which should never have been released, I know, I know). I just asked repology to ignore the version [7] but a roll-back would be cleaner.

3. if your favorite distro isn't listed at [6] or only with an outdated version of rdiff-backup, it's time to step up as packager!

4. please have a look at the weekly release [4] and test it, especially after tonight's build [5]! Make sure that it isn't broken in any way, and especially in collaboration with version 2.2.x (and API 201). The sooner a breakage is discovered, the easier it is for me to fix it, especially before I start doing even more massive rewrites.

KR, Eric

[1] https://github.com/ottok
[2] https://github.com/rdiff-backup/rdiff-backup/issues/944
[3] https://github.com/orgs/Homebrew/discussions/4882
[4] https://github.com/rdiff-backup/rdiff-backup/releases/tag/weekly
[5] it will be built with newer versions of Python and using pyproject.toml
[6] https://repology.org/project/rdiff-backup/versions
[7] https://repology.org/project/rdiff-backup/report