Re: "Virtual" version 2.4 (and probably 2.6, potentially 2.8)

From: EricZolf
Subject: Re: "Virtual" version 2.4 (and probably 2.6, potentially 2.8)
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2023 09:02:17 +0200

BTW, the empty changelog for the weekly release is normal, as it is the changelog since the last release, so 2.4.0, so nothing...

KR, Eric

On 01/10/2023 18:54, EricZolf wrote:
Hi,

if someone would pay attention, they would have noticed that I just pushed a tag version v2.4.0 and updated accordingly the changelog.

Don't be surprised or confused. As I wrote in a previous e-mail, I don't plan to release it, but it just shows that the code has evolved compared to the latest 2.2.6 version.

Tonight's weekly release [0] will accordingly be released without the old CLI (check the changelog for details), and it would be nice if some of you could test it making sure that nothing is broken, after this rather important change [1]. But check it only tomorrow!

It'll take probably a bit longer but I'm currently removing everything related to API 200 / rdiff-backup 2.0.x, and will probably tag it with version 2.6 (also unreleased), and then it would again be good to have people test that nothing broke in API 201, e.g. against version 2.2.

We could wait until 3.0 is out to test, but I would prefer to go step by step and make sure nothing breaks before too many changes are made to know where the issue appeared.

Thanks, Eric

[0] https://github.com/rdiff-backup/rdiff-backup/releases/tag/weekly
[1] 32 files changed, 243 insertions(+), 1708 deletions(-)