Re: Using rsync to disk on the system being backed up?

From: Robert Nichols
Subject: Re: Using rsync to disk on the system being backed up?
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2023 12:16:50 -0600

On 2/15/23 10:35, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
I've googled enough to find out that rdiff at least in some circumstances uses
rsync to minimize communication bandwidth.

My question is this: if rdiff-backup is backing up to a disk (internal or
external) on the machine being backed up, does it continue to use rsync?

When working over a network link, rdiff-backup works in a manner _like_ rsync.
It doesn't actually use the rsync program. When backing up to a local disk, it
of course accesses the disk directly.

OK, I suppose if you really wanted to simulate networked operation when working
locally you could run:

    rdiff-backup backup {source directory} localhost::{archive directory}

                Do NOT delete it.