Re: What caused my rdiff-backup failure and how can I resolve it.

From: Arrigo Marchiori
Subject: Re: What caused my rdiff-backup failure and how can I resolve it.
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2023 14:43:09 +0100

Hello,

On Mon, Jan 30, 2023 at 07:33:50AM +0000, qx6uwumzvv@liamekaens.com wrote:

[...]

> I tried to do an rdiff-backup (downloaded as
> rdiff-backup-2.2.2.win64exe.zip) of the entire drive to another
> larger drive that still has plenty of free space

[...]

> Unfortunately, rdiff-backup reported an error followed by a warning
> 3 times, then a backtrace.  At that point it appears rdiff-backup
> stopped and didn't complete backing up all the files..

[...]

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "rdiffbackup\run.py", line 170, in <module>
>   File "rdiffbackup\run.py", line 37, in main
>   File "rdiffbackup\run.py", line 105, in main_run
>   File "rdiffbackup\actions\backup.py", line 159, in run
>   File "rdiff_backup\backup.py", line 39, in mirror_compat200
>   File "rdiff_backup\backup.py", line 197, in patch
>   File "rdiff_backup\rorpiter.py", line 146, in __call__
>   File "rdiff_backup\backup.py", line 595, in fast_process_file
>   File "rdiff_backup\longname.py", line 152, in get_mirror_inc_rps
>   File "rdiff_backup\longname.py", line 135, in find_inc_pair
>   File "rdiff_backup\longname.py", line 313, in _check_new_index
>   File "rdiff_backup\longname.py", line 290, in wrap_call
>   File "rdiff_backup\longname.py", line 306, in make_parent
>   File "rdiff_backup\rpath.py", line 802, in makedirs
>   File "os.py", line 225, in makedirs
> FileNotFoundError: [WinError 3] The system cannot find the path specified:
> b'E:/Backup of Data Volume/rdiff-backup-data/increments/Saved files from XPS
> 8500/pcanning
> AppData/Local/IsolatedStorage/lcurzgy2.mpt/d43wfibz.sxp/StrongName.p1ksvpr1tqyz1i0rntyvyoufratxuqjq/AssemFiles/oauth-tax.platform.intuit.com-prdatnreszapc4a29dbipmzhcuwStLHhvlDxrbPq-0'
> [39876] Failed to execute script 'run' due to unhandled exception!
>
> Any ideas for what might be causing these problems and how to resolve them?

I am finding very similar problems with very long paths under
Windows. And your path seems to be very long as well.

Probably this is the issue:
https://github.com/rdiff-backup/rdiff-backup/issues/782

Quickest solution: rename the longer files/directories.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,
--
Arrigo