Re: rdiff-backup-delete: Feature requests

From: Eric Zolf
Subject: Re: rdiff-backup-delete: Feature requests
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2023 07:01:05 +0100

Hi,

I don't add to Robert's answer, spot on.

On 25/01/2023 18:56, Dieter Heußner via Any discussion of rdiff-backup wrote:
Therefore I submit the following new feature requests:
1. The total number of dropped history information should be made available to
     the user.
2. Extend the official documentation of rdiff-backup-delete by deploying parts
     of the text above. Especially the documentation should mention that
     rdiff-backup-delete allows for deleting files in a single run. Of course,
     you may modify my text, or adding additional words / examples to it.
3. There should be a (not so short) description about the various types of
      "*.gz" files in the subdirectory "rdiff-backup-data" which is solely
      maintained by rdiff-backup / rdiff-backup-delete.

you may create enhancement requests, one for each point please, at https://github.com/rdiff-backup/rdiff-backup/issues

Even better, you may even offer merge requests at https://github.com/rdiff-backup/rdiff-backup/pulls

Beware though that rdiff-backup-delete will be rewritten and merged with the main rdiff-backup binary, so changes won't happen short term.
See https://github.com/rdiff-backup/rdiff-backup/issues/774

Regarding point 3, we agree that these are implementation details so more developer than user information? Not saying that it won't be done, documentation is good, just that it might not have the purpose you expect.

KR, Eric