Re: Version Woes

From: Derek Atkins
Subject: Re: Version Woes
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2020 14:16:46 -0400

Frank Crawford <address@hidden> writes:

> Okay, when I get the rdiff-backup 2.0 out in the various Fedora/EPEL
> repos, including the optional packages for pylibacl and pyxattr for
> EPEL8, I'll see if I can knock up a version of rdiff-backup 1.2.8 on
> my COPR repo.
>
> If there is a big enough demand I will look at how I can get a rdiff-
> backup 1.2.8 build into EPEL8, but the real intention is to move
> forward with version 2 and onwards.

Unless and until we have a way for "current" version to talk to
"ancient" version, we will necessarily need to maintain 1.2.8 for the
foreseeable future.

Sometimes you just can't upgrade a system but you still need to be able
to back it up.  I've got one server still running Fedora 20!

Lack of cross-version support is going to be a MAJOR issue for a while!
The client-server incompatibility will require maintaining both
versions, at least in one place in a deployed backup solution.

To that end, I recommend we try VERY HARD to have both 1.2.8 AND
2.current available as packages in distros (the same way you can have
both python2 and python3 simultaneously).

> Regards
> Frank

-derek

--
       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745
       address@hidden             www.ihtfp.com