Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Simple use help

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Simple use help
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 20:24:07 -0800

> I do not think that rdiff-backup can deal with individual files like
> .bashrc and .emacs (I assume the rest are directories). It deals
> with directories only. Why dont you make hard links of all these
> individual files and put them in a directory called
> for_backup_of_individual_files and add this dir to the rest of the dirs
> you want to backup?
>
> On Thu, 11 Dec 2003, Laurent GUERBY wrote:
>
> > I have a list of files and directories I want to backup in a file
> > relative to a fixed directory (here /home):
> >
> > $ cat /tmp/list.txt
> > user1/.bashrc
> > user1/.emacs

rdiff-backup can only backup to/from a directory, but
--exclude/--include (and the related filelist options) work on
non-directory files also.

I think the problem in Laurent's case was that he wasn't using the
full pathname in his include file.  The error message in this case is
supposed to be very helpful, but I think he only read the end of it.

--
Ben Escoto