Re: Freebsd 12 strange disk behaviour on QEMU machine

From: Jakob Bohm
Subject: Re: Freebsd 12 strange disk behaviour on QEMU machine
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 14:16:31 +0200

Using Linux Guests on older qemu versions, I have seen some bad disk speed effects of snapshot mechanisms, but not your particular scenario:

1. When creating a snapshot and until all snapshots are deleted, all disk writes are redirected to a delta storage area that keeps track of which virtual disk blocks are different from the snapshot contents and what that different block contents is.  Read access thus gets overhead from doing the lookup and occasional redirected read.  Write access gets much more overhead from adding delta entries and redirecting the write.  This is inherent in the snapshot mechanism.

2. In snapshot mode I have seen general I/O (including network and/or basic CPU stuff) getting slowed down so hard that the outside cannot even ping the virtual machines, indicating that someone in the qemu team made the mistake of doing the disk snapshot overhead in the same execution thread as basic emulation tasks.  Later qemu developers get so focused on spitting out replies to rookies that they fail to realize the fundamental problem.

3. I have not seen slowdowns happen after snapshot removal, but cannot rule out that someone made further mistakes in I/O handling.