Serial Comms between two QEMU Guests

From: Bryan T. Richardson
Subject: Serial Comms between two QEMU Guests
Date: Mon, 22 May 2023 16:46:58 -0600

I have two applications that communicate with each other using a serial
connection, and I would like to test them running in separate QEMU VM guests.
I've tried adding the following options to the VM guests when I start them.

Guest #1:

    -chardev socket,id=foo,port=4444,host=127.0.0.1,server,nowait \
      -device virtserialport,chardev=foo,name=foo

Guest #2:

    -chardev socket,id=foo,port=4444,host=127.0.0.1 \
      -device virtserialport,chardev=foo,name=foo

Inside of the guest VMs, I have the applications using the
`/dev/virtio-ports/foo` device for their serial communications, but they're not
able to communicate.

On the host, I use `tcpdump -i lo port 4444` to see if anything is being passed
between the VMs when I start the applications, but nothing is captured.

Does anyone have an example of something like this working between two guest
VMs?

Thank you in advance!