Re: [Qemu-discuss] Best Intel hardware for qemu

From: Friedrich Oslage
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] Best Intel hardware for qemu
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2019 18:58:25 +0200

As long as it's VT-x capable and can run Linux, you're good to go.

It only gets tricky once you start using VFIO (direct passthrough of host PCI devices to a VM, such as GPUs, NICs or NVMes for instance). You need VT-d support for that and both the CPU and mainboard have to support it. And not only do they have to support it, they have to support in a usable way with decent iommu group isolation and without weird bugs. There are no (official) compatibility lists for this, it's still mostly trial and error...

Regards
Friedrich