qemu-devel

Re: Do we still need pre-meson compatibility hacks?

From: Kevin Wolf
Subject: Re: Do we still need pre-meson compatibility hacks?
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 13:31:53 +0100

Am 25.01.2024 um 08:54 hat Paolo Bonzini geschrieben:
> Right now configure contains a couple hacks to preserve some of the
> semantics of the pre-meson build system:
>
> 1) emulation of ./configure by creating a build directory and a forwarding
> GNUmakefile (requested by Kevin)

I occasionally still use this. It's a bit more convenient when it does
work, but I have the impression it's not 100% reliable and sometimes
'make' on the top level doesn't do anything while 'make -C build/' finds
something to do. Though I'm not sure if it actually happens on upstream
or if it's a downstream problem.

> 2) creation of symlinks such as x86_64-softmmu/qemu-system-x86_64 and
> arm-linux-user/qemu-arm (requested by Peter)

This is another thing I haven't tested in a while, but for some reason,
some test cases only used to work for me when I gave them a binary like
x86_64-softmmu/qemu-system-x86_64, but not with ./qemu-system-x86_64.

Kevin