qemu-devel

Re: QEMU Summit Minutes 2023

From: Alex Bennée
Subject: Re: QEMU Summit Minutes 2023
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2023 17:11:27 +0000

Peter Maydell <peter.maydell@linaro.org> writes:

> QEMU Summit Minutes 2023
> ========================
>
> As usual, we held a QEMU Summit meeting at KVM Forum.  This is an
> invite-only meeting for the most active maintainers and submaintainers
> in the project, and we discuss various project-wide issues, usually
> process stuff. We then post the minutes of the meeting to the list as
> a jumping off point for wider discussion and for those who weren't
> able to attend.

<snip>

> Topic 2: Are we happy with the email workflow?
>
> This was a topic to see if there was any consensus among maintainers
> about the long-term acceptability of sticking with email for patch
> submission and review -- in five years' time, if we're still doing it
> the same way, how would we feel about it?
>
> One area where we did get consensus was that now that we're doing CI
> on gitlab we can change pull requests from maintainers from via-email
> to gitlab merge requests. This would hopefully mean that instead of
> the release-manager having to tell gitlab to do a merge and then
> reporting back the results of any CI failures, the maintainer
> could directly see the CI results and deal with fixing up failures
> and resubmitting without involving the release manager. (This
> may have the disbenefit that there isn't a single person any
> more who looks at all the CI results and gets a sense of whether
> particular test cases have pre-existing intermittent failures.)

If we are keen to start processing merge requests for the 9.0 release we
really should consider how it is going to work before we open up the
taps post 8.2-final going out.

Does anyone want to have a go at writing an updated process for
docs/devel/submitting-a-pull-request.rst (or I guess merge-request) so
we can discuss it and be ready early in the cycle? Ideally someone who
already has experience with the workflow with other gitlab hosted
projects.

--
Alex Bennée
Virtualisation Tech Lead @ Linaro