qemu-devel

Re: [PULL v3 09/25] ui/console: allow to override the default VC

From: Richard Henderson
Subject: Re: [PULL v3 09/25] ui/console: allow to override the default VC
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2023 16:51:23 -0800

On 11/16/23 09:52, Peter Maydell wrote:
On Tue, 7 Nov 2023 at 10:24, <marcandre.lureau@redhat.com> wrote:

From: Marc-André Lureau <marcandre.lureau@redhat.com>

If a display is backed by a specialized VC, allow to override the
default "vc:80Cx24C".

As suggested by Paolo, if the display doesn't implement a VC (get_vc()
returns NULL), use a fallback that will use a muxed console on stdio.

This changes the behaviour of "qemu -display none", to create a muxed
serial/monitor by default (on TTY & not daemonized).

This breaks existing command line setups -- if I say
"-display none" I just mean "don't do a display", not
"please also give me a monitor". We already have a
"do what I mean" option for "no graphics", which is
"-nographic". The advantage of -display none is that
it does only and exactly what it says it does.

Setups using semihosting for output now get a spurious
load of output from the monitor on their terminal.

I think we should revert this; I'll send a patch.

Yes indeed. I think this may be why I've seen my xterm go into strange i/o modes during "make check-tcg" of the semihosting tests.

r~