qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [for-4.0 PATCH v3.1 8/9] q35/440fx/arm/spapr/ccw: Add Q

From: Alex Williamson
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [for-4.0 PATCH v3.1 8/9] q35/440fx/arm/spapr/ccw: Add QEMU 4.0 machine type
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2018 12:56:21 -0700

On Tue, 4 Dec 2018 19:29:25 +0000
Peter Maydell <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Tue, 4 Dec 2018 at 19:26, Alex Williamson <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 4 Dec 2018 20:16:44 +0100
> > Christian Borntraeger <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > > I think Conny has already added the s390/ccw part to her next tree.
> > > From a quick glimpse both patches look identical.
> >
> > If so then we can just use the original v3 version of this patch that
> > touches all but ccw and let them come together in mainline.  My
> > assumption is that Peter is only trying to make sure all versioned
> > machines are updated early in this release, not necessarily that
> > they need to be updated together.
>
> Yes, that's the idea. I also think it's a suboptimal idea
> to include the version-number-bump patch in a series that's
> adding some feature, because then if the feature itself
> has to go through several rounds of patch review the
> version-number-bump patch is stuck unapplied (we saw that
> at the end of the 3.1 cycle), or it gets bumped by some
> other unrelated series and then there's a merge conflict.
> But that's more of a things-for-next time remark, no need
> to rearrange this now.

If you and the other stakeholders agree, you are more than welcome to
pluck this patch from the series and apply it as soon as 4.0 opens.  It
might make things a tiny bit easier down the road to avoid the
conflicts since we seem to have multiple contenders vying for this
update.  Maybe the best practice going forward is to open the merge
window with such a commit.  Thanks,

Alex