[qemu-arm-static] timer_delete issue from Qemu 5.0.0 onwards

From: Jon Alduan
Subject: [qemu-arm-static] timer_delete issue from Qemu 5.0.0 onwards
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2022 16:28:59 +0200

Is this a bug report, feature (enhancement) request or question? (leave only one on its own line)

/kind bug

I am using qemu-arm-static to run "armv7l" applications on a x86_64 system (usually using "chroot" to an own arm root file system). The host system is ubuntu.

I compiled a common and simple posix timer (timer_create/timer_delete) application to verify that qemu-arm-static is handling these calls correctly. I found out, that regardless of Ubuntu's version, qemu-arm-static with version 4.2.1 does it right, but 5.0.0 onwards it does not.

When removing first created timer (index 0), timer created on second place (index 1) is unexpectedly removed.

This beavior is reproducible.

Steps to reproduce the issue:

C++ application creating several recursive timers with timer_create and type SIGNAL. Configure and start them with timer_settime. Check with some output which timers are being received within the configured callback function. After some delay delete first created timer.

Describe the results you received:

You will still receive this timer's signal on the callback function, but the timer created on a second place won't be triggered anymore. Other timers created subsequentially (index > 1) would not be affected.

Describe the results you expected:

I would expect that when I delete first created timer, this timer and not the secondly created timer will be removed. This is the behavior with Qemu version 4.2.1.

Environment:

Additional information optionally:

I can provide logs and application to test if needed.

I need to update the qemu-arm-static version to a newer version, as I get several qemu outputs saying that some calls are not supported. I checked out that they are supported by newer qemu versions, but I cannot update until this important issue is solved.