pingus-devel

Re: Feature

From: David Philippi
Subject: Re: Feature
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 20:47:25 +0100

Am So, den 14.12.2003 schrieb address@hidden um 12:29:
> I tried to play the pingus game and I like it. But the "new" (in
> comparison with lemmings i guess?) jumper character brought me to some
> idea. It sure is annoying to click on every penguin when you want him
> to make a jump. If there are 20 of them it starts to be a click-fest
> rather than a logic game. So it would be great to make
> some kind of gates where every penguin receives a certain abillity if
> he walks by ( it could also be some ability, there will simply
> stand a penguin who will give parachute (or whatever) to every passing
> colleague). What do you think about it? Would it be possible to
> implement it?

Possible? Sure - why not? A good idea? That's another question...
Some kind of gate would be quite orthogonal to the idea and gameplay of
Pingus or Lemmings in general, don't you think so? Actions are set by
the player, not by something in the level (well, except the dying ones,
but that's an implementation detail).
A special ability for a Pingus may make some sense eventually. I guess
an easier solution to that kind of problem is to avoid it in the level
design. Since I usually don't design levels, that's a question for
someone else to answer.
I agree in so far as that it makes more fun to solve puzzles then to
click on X Pingu to make them Floaters, Jumpers or whatever.

Bye David