parallel

Parallel is ignoring the (--sshlogin) attribute order when used with (--

From: Mehta, Cyrus
Subject: Parallel is ignoring the (--sshlogin) attribute order when used with (--keep-order ) option
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2023 21:50:11 +0000

Here is my example where I request that the job runs on LNXVP1262 first before starting on LNXVP1251.

date ; echo 'hostname;date;sleep 10;date' | parallel --no-run-if-empty --will-cite --onall --keep-order --joblog ${runDir}/jobLog.txt --results ${runDir}/resultsDir --jobs 1 --sshlogin LNXVP1262,LNXVP1251

Results:

Wed Sep  6 17:35:01 EDT 2023

LNXVP1251

Wed Sep  6 17:35:02 EDT 2023

Wed Sep  6 17:35:12 EDT 2023

LNXVP1262

Wed Sep  6 17:35:13 EDT 2023

Wed Sep  6 17:35:23 EDT 2023

How can I make sure the results are:

Wed Sep  6 17:35:01 EDT 2023

LNXVP1262

Wed Sep  6 17:35:02 EDT 2023

Wed Sep  6 17:35:12 EDT 2023

LNXVP1251

Wed Sep  6 17:35:13 EDT 2023

Wed Sep  6 17:35:23 EDT 2023

Is the (--sshlogin) login order always alphabetical (I am assuming) or is there a way to force a sort order.  I suppose one hack is creating SSH machine aliases in a sort order, and hope parallel can use the aliases, but that’s ugly.