parallel

Processing a big file using more CPUs

From: Nio Wiklund
Subject: Processing a big file using more CPUs
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2019 21:52:55 +0100

Hi parallel users,

Background

EXAMPLE: Processing a big file using more CPUs

To process a big file or some output you can use --pipe to split up the data into blocks and pipe the blocks into the processing program.

If the program is gzip -9 you can do:

  cat bigfile | parallel --pipe --recend '' -k gzip -9 > bigfile.gz

This will split bigfile into blocks of 1 MB and pass that to gzip -9 in parallel. One gzip will be run per CPU. The output of gzip -9 will be kept in order and saved to bigfile.gz

Question

I would like to create blocks of suitable size for each cpu/thread for binary files, like it is possible with --pipepart --block -1 for text files (with lines).

I have tried but can only get 1 MiB size block (default).

The reason why I want this is that I often create compressed images of the content of a drive, /dev/sdx, and I lose approximately half the comptression improvement from gzip to xz, when using parallel. The improvement in speed is good, 2.5 times, but I think larger blocks would give xz a chance to get a compression much closer to what it can get without parallel.

Is it possible with with the current code? In that case how?

Otherwise I think it would be a good idea to modify the code to make it possible.

Best regards
Nio