parallel

Re: Beginner's questions

From: Ole Tange
Subject: Re: Beginner's questions
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2015 09:04:50 +0200

On Tue, Aug 4, 2015 at 5:15 PM, Rory Molinari <quokka@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have only recently discovered parallel and wish I had found it years ago.
> Thanks for such a great tool, Ole!  Mange tak!

       If you like GNU Parallel:

       · Give a demo at your local user group/team/colleagues

       · Post the intro videos and the tutorial on Reddit, Diaspora*,
forums, blogs, Identi.ca, Google+, Twitter,
         Facebook, Linkedin, mailing lists

       · Request or write a review for your favourite blog or magazine

       · Invite me for your next conference

       If you use GNU Parallel for research:

       · Please cite GNU Parallel in you publications (use --bibtex)

       If GNU Parallel saves you money:

       · (Have your company) donate to FSF or become a member
https://my.fsf.org/donate/

:
:
> Positional replacement strings like {2} aren't introduced until the next
> section.  What is the advantage in using this replacement string as '{..}'
> rather than '..' ?

None. Only when you want to use positional replacement strings does it
make a difference.

:
> We see that 6 processes got the default block of 1 MB or so, a seventh got
> most of the remainder, and an eight got a tiny scrap.  Why was there an
> eighth process?

Because no one have submitted a good patch to fix it.

/Ole