paperclips-discuss

Re: [Paperclips-discuss] Problems with Paperclips CVS

From: Andy Madigan
Subject: Re: [Paperclips-discuss] Problems with Paperclips CVS
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 17:46:11 -0800 (PST)

--- Nic Ferrier <address@hidden> wrote:

> Andy Madigan <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I tried the latest Paperclips in CVS and it works insofar as the
> server
> > does start, but it can't find any files (it won't even list the
> root
> > directory). I've tried using a simple server.xml as well as simply
> > specifying a docroot on the command line. This is using sablevm
> > 1.1.6.
>
> I have not run paperclips against sablevm. I'll install debian's and
> see what happens.
>
> But Paperclips definitely works. I just tested it again with the
> files
> you submitted to me.
>
> So it looks like it might be a sable problem. We'll find out.
>

> > I'm not really that concerned about not being able to find files,
> what
> > I really need to know is how CGIServlet (in
> gnu.paperclips.servlets) is
> > used. I have a similiar type of servlet. The servlet needs to be
> able
> > to access files, and needs to be associated with a specific file
> > exstension (.ssjs). How would I use this servlet? (I would prefer
> to be
> > able to hardcode this into the container somewhere, rather than
> using
> > server.xml).
>
> I can't remember what the status of CGIServlet is.
>
> But you could write a method to start paperclips and bind the servlet
> for you automatically.
>
> Do you want to know how to do that?

Yes, I looked through the code but I'm not that familiar with how
servlet containers work beyond the Servlet API.

> btw using server.xml for this is fine. Unlike some other servlet
> containers I could mention, Paperclips allowed deployers to override
> anything that is specified in a web.xml with similar constructs in a
> server.xml.
>
> Why not use server.xml?

I'm not sure I know what you mean by 'web.xml', I don't think I
completely understand how Paperclips works, but it looks like it can
only load servlets from a WAR file. The servlet I'm using was
originally designed with Tomcat in mind. In tomcat, I changed the
global web.xml file (which was executed on per-web-app basis) to map
*.ssjs to the servlet (much like tomcat's own CGI Servlet is mapped to
*.cgi). This was a good solution for that case, but I am now hoping to
be able to hack an existing servlet container so that it uses this
servlet and no other servlets. The servlet itself allows a developer to
write servlets (using the Servlet API) in JavaScript.

My reasoning is that JavaScript does not require external classloading.
It is somewhat slow to load external class files from a program
compiled with GCJ (yet this is the core of a servlet container). I
would like to disable classloading  in Paperclips and then compile with
GCJ already set to use my servlet and map it to ssjs (code it in, not
configure it with a server.xml file).