pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] More Usenet Server - if switching - no posting

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] More Usenet Server - if switching - no posting
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2018 22:45:18 +0000 (UTC)

FritzS - gmx posted on Wed, 03 Oct 2018 13:50:20 +0200 as excerpted:

> Hi!
> I use Pan 0.145 from MacPorts.
> I configured more servers and more profiles.
>
> In some newsgroups, if wrote a follower-posting and switch the
> profile/sever an send it. The posting does not send to the server.

Does the status icon at the lower right of the main pan window (not the
compose window) switch from information to error, and if you click it to
open the status log, what error (if any) is registered?

Have you confirmed that the chosen server actually carries the group in
question?  With multiple servers, some groups may show up that aren't
carried by all servers, and they'll likely refuse the post if they don't
carry the group.

Additionally, some servers may not accept binaries posted to anything but
the alt.binaries.* (or similar *.binaries.*) newsgroups, or you may be
running into cross-postings policy limits (maybe one group of the cross-
posted group list isn't carried and they only allow posting to carried
groups, or the followup is to more groups than the number of groups they
allow crossposting to) if the posting is to more than one group, etc.

Also note that some providers assume download-only by default and won't
let you post at all unless you specifically turn on that feature for your
account, or perhaps some stuff you posted got copyright take-down orders
or the like, and they toggled your account permissions to not allow
posting.

Most of these problems should result in a "posting not authorized" error
of some sort, however, with the error presumably logged to the event log,
and you neither list the error nor indicate there wasn't one to list,
thus the question in the first paragraph.  Sometimes that error will have
all the information in it you need to fix it, sometimes it'll be more
vague (not allowed but no reason given), but either way, either having it
or knowing no such error was recorded will be more information than we
have now.