pan-users

[Pan-users] How to stop downloading read articles overview on group open

From: DC
Subject: [Pan-users] How to stop downloading read articles overview on group open
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 10:45:02 -0500

Can someone please tell me how to prevent Pan from retrieving article headers for read articles? This is costing me huge amounts of bandwidth. I cannot find an option to turn it off.

I marked all of my subscribed groups as read and when I open a group, it starts downloading everything as if this was the first time I loaded the group.

I noted that my ~/.pan directory was balooning to over 200MB in size. Lo and behold, it would appear that Pan saves headers by default. This won't do.

Here is what I would like:

I would like Pan to use a .newsrc (I've set one up, now) to keep track of read articles, but for it to NOT insist on downloading articles marked read in this .newsrc anyway.

Header storage -- I would like to turn this off. Please point me to the option that continues to elude me.

Scrolling in the header pane -- is there a way to make the mousewheel scroll line-by-line instead of jumping several lines at a time? This could be an KDE setting, but I find that Pan leaps by a dozen lines or more at a time, instead of the 4 lines I've spec'd in KDE config. Other apps behave normally.

(If anyone has configured their Pan to behave as close as possible to Xnews and wouldn't mind sharing their config with me, I would be very grateful.)

Thanks.

--
DC