nufw-users

Re: [Nufw-users] nufw vs. PPPoE like solution

From: Vincent Deffontaines
Subject: Re: [Nufw-users] nufw vs. PPPoE like solution
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 10:46:22 +0100 (CET)

Craig a écrit :
> How does nufw differ from using the gatway as a PPPoE destination on a
> per user/machine basis?

I see quite many possible answers to this question :)
I'll go for the architecture point of view.

>From the start, NuFW is designed to handle connections from a LAN to some
(public or private) services, ie implement better security policies and
provide identification and authentication of all IP traffic from an
intranet. It _can_ be used on other schemes, but this was the initial
design.

The very first goal of NuFW is to provide a new criteria in IP filter
rules : user's ID.

PPPoE i don't know very well, but it seems to me it is rather used in an
ISP context, for providing connectivity to customers.

Technically, NuFW assumes that all concerned objects already have network
connectivity.

I hope this somehow answers your question.

Vincent