Re: [nmh-workers] Removing message/partial support

From: Valdis Klētnieks
Subject: Re: [nmh-workers] Removing message/partial support
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2019 16:05:52 -0400

On Tue, 23 Apr 2019 13:34:26 -0400, Ken Hornstein said:
> As discussed here:
>
>       https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/nmh-workers/2019-02/msg00035.html
>
> Currently our message/partial support does not work.  I believe fixing
> it is straightforward, but given the links that David posted in that
> thread and my own research, almost no other MUAs support it and it is
> probably blocked by most mail providers due to concerns about viruses
> and spam.  Can anyone think of a reason to keep it?  I suggest removing
> all support for it, on both sender and receiver sides.

I can't remember if I followed up or not, but over on the ietf-822 list there
were 3 or 4 products mentioned that had code but shipped with the ability
configured
disabled.  Gnus seems to be the largest user base that would potentially handle
a message/partial either incoming or outbound.  This implies "It's only of use
if
you already know a priori that your recipient is running an uncommon mail
stack".

(Further research shows that I was probably incorrect in saying that exmh can't
handle reassembling a message/partial - further looking at the code indicates
that if 'mhstore' is able to deal with the message fragments not being in
order, it should work, but I haven't tested it.  There's zero support for
passing -split to 'send'.