ngl-devel

Re: [ngl-devel] NGL and GLUT using same Window?

From: Sebastien Metrot
Subject: Re: [ngl-devel] NGL and GLUT using same Window?
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2004 17:37:23 +0100

One thing you could try is to implement NGL low level window routines over GLUT. But then i'm not sure whta you would really gain for all the pain (except may be the ability to run NUI on top of GLUT).

Sebastien

Vincent Caron wrote:

Jan Schaefer wrote:

Hello,

i am trying to figure out, wether NGL is an option for my next project.
There already exists an application using GLUT which cannot be changed
to NGL. Is it possible to have a GLUT-based and a NGL-based app
render to the same window, without to much hassle?

  Hello,

Glut and NGL do exactly the same thing, and it's relevant with the window creation and event handling. Once you've created a window with one of the toolkit, you have to manage the events with the same toolkit. Then I don't see the point in having both toolkits if one is useless.

Note that due to very different underlying implementations in NGL and Glut, you can run in strange and platform-dependent results if you mix both toolkits (they make different assumptions on the application context).