mldonkey-tasks

[Mldonkey-tasks] [task #7653] Gnutella/G2: Filter search spam

From: spiralvoice
Subject: [Mldonkey-tasks] [task #7653] Gnutella/G2: Filter search spam
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 21:46:12 +0000

             Assigned to: None
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any
                 Release:
                 Release: None
        Operating System: None
         Binaries Origin: None
                CPU type: None

Details:

Hi,

gnutella and g2 seem to be mostly useless these days, at least when using
mldonkey. I get (practically) no relevant hits, just the same dose of
auto-generated spam. Somehow this doesn't seem to happen when using Shareaza.

For example, searching for "asdfgadcv" yields 72 results, e.g. "*Unique*
asdfgadcv Promo (XXX).rar", "01 asdfgadcv (256kbps) (2).zip" and so on.

I believe it would be possible to automatically filter these, at least until
the spammers come up with more sophisticated tools. If you search for a random
string say every hour and add the hashes of resulting hits to a filter list,
then the same spam hits needn't show up as hits when the user does a real
search.

I'm not sure how feasible it would be to automatically block the IPs of the
spammers; some of these files are pretty widespread (60+ sources reported on
G2, but on ed2k I have seen upwards of several thousand).

Even if automatic filtering is not implemented, the option to manually ignore
some search results in all future searches would be welcome.

Also, there seems to be an anomaly in search handling where search results
from previous searches creep into the list of results for a later search. This
only seems to affect Gnutella and G2. So, you search for foo, then several
hours later search for bar, and you get a result for "foo" in the "bar"
listing.

Additionally, the list of bootstrap/discovery services shipped with mldonkey
is so outdated that none of the URLs work. For this reason, a new mldonkey
installation can't connect to Gnutella at all. Shareaza seems to have an up to
date list, maybe you could borrow that?

AndrĂ¡s

Follow-up Comments:

Date: Samstag 01.01.2005 um 15:17   By: Ralf Treinen <treinen>
The following information has been sent by
Emmanuel Charpentier <address@hidden> :

I think I have another instance of the same bug.

Let's try to check that the sum of two normally distributed variables is
also normal (basic probs) :

In xmaxima (see enclosed file, the output us too wide not to be mangled
by mailer's reformatting), I get (almost) what I want (need to further
factorize the exponent, but the result is there. Marvelous, if you're
old enough to remember sweating blood and tears to derive this by hand
...). You note that assuming that standard errors are positive allows
maxima to answer directly. Forgetting the assumption forces maxima to
prompt for the signs of the standard errors.

In a maxima session in TeXmacs, I get the same result, up to the point I
cancel the "positive s. e." assumption. When I re-ask for
bar[x,mu[1],sigma[1],mu[2],sigma[2]), TeXmacs segfaults.

Furthermore, when relaunching TeXmacs, I can either accept the
restoration of the autosave file, or find myself with a stubbornly
locked TeXmacs, that accepts only an exit command.

Hope this helps pinpointing the problem,

                                        Emmanuel Charpentier

PS : FWIW :
address@hidden:~$ dpkg -l texmacs* | grep ii
ii  texmacs        1.0.4.4-2      WYSIWYG emacs-ish mathematical text
editor,
ii  texmacs-common 1.0.4.4-2      WYSIWYG emacs-ish mathematical text
editor,
address@hidden:~$ dpkg -l maxima* | grep ii
ii  maxima         5.9.1-7        A fairly complete computer algebra
system--
ii  maxima-doc     5.9.1-7        A fairly complete computer algebra
system--
ii  maxima-share   5.9.1-7        A fairly complete computer algebra
system--
ii  maxima-src     5.9.1-7        A fairly complete computer algebra
system--
ii  maxima-test    5.9.1-7        A fairly complete computer algebra
system--

Date: Mittwoch 27.10.2004 um 08:14  By: Ralf Treinen <treinen>
While 1.0.4-R3 still hangs on the qustion posed by maxima,
texmacs 1.0.4.3 now crashes with segmentation violation.

File Attachments:

Date: Samstag 01.01.2005 um 15:17  Name: xmaxima-output.txt  Size: 2kB   By:
treinen

<http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/download.php?file_id=2313>