mediagoblin-devel

[GMG-Devel] Media directory permissions

From: Jim Campbell
Subject: [GMG-Devel] Media directory permissions
Date: Sat, 09 May 2015 22:49:29 -0500

Hi All,

I seem to have repeated problems with directory permissions that I'd
like to get sorted out. I'm able to get a site instance up, can create
accounts, add media types, upload media, the media processes correctly,
but I am having issues with the media actually displaying. I get the
"blank inaccessible media placeholder", the scourge of media that can't
be loaded.  : /

>From what I can tell, the media directory permissions and access are a
mix of configurations in mediagoblin_local.ini, paste_local.ini and my
nginx configuration + directory permissions, but I seem to be stuck -
not able to arrive at a workable solution even after multiple attempts.
I've even dug-in on ACLs.

I'd like to get this sorted out before the release so that we can
provide the proper documentation for new users.

People can help by sharing their example configs from the files listed
above (mg_local.ini, paste_local.ini, nginx configuration), and by
noting anything special that they had to do with regards to user:group
persmissions on the relevant directories and files.  If I've left
anything out that you think is relevant, please feel free to let me
know.

Thanks for your help, everyone!

Jim