mediagoblin-devel

[GMG-Devel] WIP: reCAPTCHA plugin

From: ayleph
Subject: [GMG-Devel] WIP: reCAPTCHA plugin
Date: Tue, 20 May 2014 01:07:02 -0700

Hiya Goblins,

I run a little public GMG instance [1] that seems to be suffering from
fake registration attempts, based on the number of undelivered email
reports in my inbox. To alleviate this issue, I'm trying to implement a
captcha on the registration page using the Google reCAPTCHA system [2].

Here's the good news: I've modified a few files on a personal test
server and already have reCAPTCHA authentication working with
recaptcha-client v1.0.6. As a proof of concept, I added a reCAPTCHA
widget to the login page [3], and I'm successfully performing captcha
validation within the def login section of mediagoblin/auth/views.py.

Here's the not so good: I'm not a Python programmer, and I'm in over my
head. I've read over the plugin api/documentation, but I don't really
get it yet. I'd like to move the reCAPTCHA code to a separate auth
plugin, but I'm a little intimidated by the whole thing. The code itself
is really basic, but it's taking a while for me to get comfortable with
Python structure.

Is anyone interested in this? Perhaps we could collaborate and get a
plugin released in the near future. Otherwise, I'll keep trucking along
in my spare time and release something once I've figured it out. Or
perhaps it would be more appropriate to go ahead and fork on gitorious
to make my in-progress work available to others. It's been a while since
I was involved in community projects like this. Any thoughts, comments,
or suggestions are appreciated.

[1] https://goblinrefuge.com
[2] https://www.google.com/recaptcha
[3] https://goblinrefuge.com/mediagoblin/u/GoblinRefuge/m/recaptcha-poc/