mailman

mailman and saving bounces

From: Karl Berry
Subject: mailman and saving bounces
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2019 16:59:04 -0700

    Unfortunatley Mailman does not store the rejection messages

Yeah. What I did to ameliorate this on tug.org is to set up an alias,
say "bounces" (could be anything), which just goes to a file:
bounces:        /home/tug/mail/bounces/current

Then I added bounces to all the *-bounces mailman addresses, like
texhax-bounces:      "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman bounces texhax",bounces

The bounces file then at least gets some record of what the mailman
bounce processing is seeing. It's not ideal, in that what gets saved has
"Message body suppressed". Sometimes it is possible to find the original
in the regular mailman archive, but sometimes it is mailman-generated
mail to the list owners, which is hard/impossible to track down.

But it's all I could think of to do, short of hacking the mm
sources. --best, karl.