Re: [Linphone-developers] Linphone logo customization

From: Julien Favre-Bulle
Subject: Re: [Linphone-developers] Linphone logo customization
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2023 11:07:07 +0100

Dear Varun and all readers of this mailing list,

I would like to bring some clarification about the use of Linphone under a GPLv3 license.

When you decide to distribute a GPLv3 software, with or without alteration, modifications, extensions or integration with third parties, then you need to make available the entire source code of your product integrating this software to the customer or end users that receive this product.

To learn more about Linphone open source please review the license conditions provided in the following link to make sure you don't miss anything: https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-3.0.en.html

You are allowed to re-skin Linphone but you have to distribute your re-skin app under GNU GPLv3 license (unless if you buy the proprietary license). This means that you must indicate that your app is released under GNU GPLv3 license into your app, for example in the setting part of the app and you have to make available the entire source code of your app for the end users (GITLAB or GITHUB is acceptable)

Distributing an app without a proprietary license or without respecting the GPLV3 conditions is constituting a copyright infringement.

Best regards,

Julien Favre-Bulle
Business Developer

Belledonne Communications, the company behind the Linphone project

https://www.linphone.org