Re: [Linphone-developers] What is the difference between X264 and H264 (

From: Luong Hoa Hieu
Subject: Re: [Linphone-developers] What is the difference between X264 and H264 (bit confused)
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 09:28:34 +0700

X264 is an encoding software, H264 is a video compression format. It's simple, you use X264 to make a H264 stream.

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 6:21 PM, Rodrigo Pimenta Carvalho <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi.

By reading web pages, discussions, makefiles and READ-MEs files, I have observed that we have X264 and H264.
I  have then compiled linphone with the flag HAVE_X264, as recommended, to support the video transmission.

But, what is the difference between X264 and H264? Is the first an implementation of the second?
If I use HAVE_X264, so am I using codec H264?
Whether X264 can be used under GPL, should I still worry about license for H264?

Any hint will be very helpful!

Thanks a lot.
Rodrigo Pimenta Carvalho.