[Linphone-developers] save captured, received video and network stats on

From: Marco Dalla Torre
Subject: [Linphone-developers] save captured, received video and network stats on disk
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 10:30:05 +0200

Hi all,

I'm a student currently working on my thesis about the impact on
videoconferencing call quality caused by typical network problems
(packet loss, delay, reordering...).
The main idea is to obtain the video streams before and after
transmission in order to perform some comparisons on them, like those
performed by evalvid (the
http://www.tkn.tu-berlin.de/research/evalvid/fw.html) and psnr-tools
(http://napa-wine.eu/cgi-bin/twiki/view/Public/PsnrTools). Now I'm
considering linphone to gather some real world usage calls data since it
is a very successful and popular open source project for voip
communications. I think it would be cool to study impact on both video
and audio, but for now I'm concentrating only the video part.

To accomplish this I would need linphone clients to provide the following:
- pre-encoding stream (raw or, better, with a lossless compression)
generated by the sender client. I need pre-encoding stream because of
the way psnr tools operate, comparing two totally identical streams
would give useless results.
- post-encoding stream, as obtained by the receiver client
-  gathered network statistics, indexed with some kind of timestamp in
order to correlate effects on video with network conditions during
transmission

So, here is my question for linphone developers: is there already some
code that can perform one or more of those points?

Thanks,
Marco Dalla Torre