Re: [Linphone-developers] G729 support in mediastremer2

From: Mike Frysinger
Subject: Re: [Linphone-developers] G729 support in mediastremer2
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2010 21:10:31 -0400

On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 21:04, Sergei Steshenko wrote:
> It can be done smarter. I.e. an application depending on G729 is
> distributed without it, so in the act of distribution GPL is not violated.

give a realistic scenario where this is possible and we can look at
it.  i dont believe there is any difference with dlopening a shared
library here or statically linking it in.

> Then, when needed, "in customer hands" the application downloads and
> installs the G729 stuff, but since it happens on customer premises, there
> is no distribution. Again, GPL is not violated.
>
> For example, people using GNU Octave sometimes want to use GotoBLAS as
> BLAS, and GotoBLAS has an incompatible with GPL (GNU Octave is GPL)
> license. So people just themselves build both GNU Octave and GotoBLAS and
> don't distribute the resulting binary.

the act of delaying violation isnt new (Gentoo does it with many
binary-ish package) and easy for source based packages.  but it isnt
realistic to sell a product to a customer which requires them to
"compile source code".  their answer is going to be "wtf is source
code".
-mike