[Linphone-developers] Using oRTP to send supplemental data besides the a

From: Steve Strobel
Subject: [Linphone-developers] Using oRTP to send supplemental data besides the audio
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 08:12:48 -0700

I am using oRTP to send G.711u audio between some embedded devices that use Blackfin processors; that is working very well. There is a small amount of other data (status information only loosely related to the audio) that I also need to pass between those embedded devices. I can think of at least three options for doing that (listed from least-to-most preferable):

- Open another socket directly from the application code and use it to send the status information. I would then have to manually deal with STUN and other firewall/NAT issues that oRTP already takes care of.

- Create a separate RTP session for the data, sending it like audio data, but with a different payload type. The data isn't a continuous stream, so this seems like a kludge.

- Send the data using the same RTP session as the audio. This seems to me like the cleanest method, but I am not sure of the best way to accomplish it.

Reading through the API documentation at <http://savannah.inetbridge.net/linphone/ortp/docs/> three possibilities jumped out at me: telephone events (such as those used to send DTMF digits), FMTP, and RTCP. Is one of those well suited for my task, or am I completely on the wrong track? Thanks for any suggestions.

Steve

---
Steve Strobel
Link Communications, Inc.