[Linphone-developers] Problems compiling 0.9.1 on RH7.3 (with solutions)

From: Derek Atkins
Subject: [Linphone-developers] Problems compiling 0.9.1 on RH7.3 (with solutions)
Date: 14 Mar 2003 14:41:48 -0500

I tried to compile linphone-0.9.1 on a RH7.3 based system but it gave
a number of problems while trying to compile.  I have both libosip and
gnome installed in a "non-standard" places.  So I configured with
--with-osip= but I also needed to add an extra INCLUDE flag, but this
wasn't accepted by configure.  In particular, there is a test that
ignores any passed-in CPPFLAGS argument.  Making a change from:

        CPPFLAGS="$ORBIT_INCLUDEDIR $CFLAGS"

to:

        CPPFLAGS="$ORBIT_INCLUDEDIR $CFLAGS $CPPFLAGS"

fixes the problem.

After making this change the configure process went fine, without
error.  However, then it died during "make" in the gnome subdir
because it couldn't find the osip include files.  I fixed THAT by
adding:

        -I$(osip_prefix)/include \

to the INCLUDES line.

After making these two changes I was able to get it to compile.  There
were a number of compiler warnings, like:

../osipua/src/sdpcontext.h:72:6: warning: no newline at end of file
../osipua/src/sdpcontext.h:72:6: warning: no newline at end of file
In file included from gui_utils.c:33:
gui_utils.h:67:6: warning: no newline at end of file
gui_utils.h:67:6: warning: no newline at end of file

The compile succeeded, however it wouldn't install, because
PACKAGE_PIXMAPS_DIR was not writable.  I configured with --prefix= but
PACKAGE_PIXMAPS_DIR was clearly not under ${prefix}, and the install
failed.  This is because of this code in configure.in:

dnl Subst PACKAGE_PIXMAPS_DIR.
PACKAGE_PIXMAPS_DIR="`gnome-config --datadir`/pixmaps/${PACKAGE}"
AC_SUBST(PACKAGE_PIXMAPS_DIR)

I don't have a good suggestion for a workaround.  I was able to just
ignore this problem and linphone is working for me without the pixmaps.

-derek

       address@hidden                        PGP key available