Re: MIDI instrument for oboe d'amore

From: Lukas-Fabian Moser
Subject: Re: MIDI instrument for oboe d'amore
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2019 20:49:44 +0200

Hi Jacques,

I find oboe and french horn, but no oboe d’amore in A.6 MIDI instruments.

Which other setting can I use for this instrument in A? There’s no clarinet in
A either.

To be honest, I fail to see the relation between the transposition of an instrument and the MIDI instruments to be used for it.

Of course, an Oboe d'amore has a unique sound distinct from the oboe (and the English Horn/Cor anglais, for that matter - I'm not sure what you mean by mentioning the french horn in this context?), but of all the standard midi instruments, I would assume that an Oboe sound should come closest. (Just like, for most MIDI patch sets, the distance between their "Clarinet" sound and any real clarinet, be it in b-flat, a or even c, is probably much larger than the difference between those instruments in real life.)

Someone interested in obtaining realistic sounds would probably a) not use LilyPond as a MIDI generator anyway, and b) use a dedicated collection of sampled instruments where it does not matter much which MIDI instrument number is used, as long as the right patch set is going to be connected.

Lukas