Re: Polymetric(?) time signature

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: Polymetric(?) time signature
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2019 17:04:41 -0700

On 2019-04-28 2:06 pm, Robert Kubosz wrote:
Hello Lilyponders!

I have a piece of music where measures have 4/4 time and 5/4 and it looks
like this:

{
  \time 4/4
  c4 c c c
  \time 5/4
  c c c c c
  \time 4/4
  c c c c
  \time 5/4
  c c c c c
}
and the pattern goes on like that to the very end of piece.

I have a question: can I declare the alternating time signature on the
beginning of piece once so I don't have to declare it for every measure? :

You could use a parallel voice that switches the time signatures using \repeat unfold and a suitable count.

Another option is to use a compound meter. The only catch is that you will not get a bar line between the 4/4 and 5/4, as the compound meter treats each measure as the sum 4+5/4.

See the following for examples of both approaches:

%%%%
\version "2.19.82"

someMusic = \fixed c' {
  | c2 d4 c     f2 g4 f8 e d c
  | g2 a4 g     e8 f g a g2 e4
  | f4 g a b    g4 c' b c'2
}

\new Staff <<
  { \numericTimeSignature
    \repeat unfold 3 { \time 4/4 s4*4 \time 5/4 s4*5 } }
  { \someMusic }

\new Staff { \compoundMeter #'((4 5 4)) \someMusic }
%%%%

-- Aaron Hill