Re: Automatically splitting long notes according to the beat?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Automatically splitting long notes according to the beat?
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2019 15:27:01 +0200

David Bellows <address@hidden> writes:

> Lilypond groups beams automatically according to the beat. If you use
> the "Completion_heads_engraver" you can get Lilypond to automatically
> split long notes at bar lines tying them together.
>
> So I'm wondering if Lilypond can automatically split long notes
> according to the beat and if I am just missing something?

When all else fails, try reading the documentation.

<http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/displaying-rhythms#automatic-note-splitting>

> If you have something like:
>
> {c'8 c'2 c'4 c'8}
>
> then you might want it to automatically split at the middle of the bar:
>
> {c'8 c'4.~c'8 c'4 c'8}
>
> or even on every beat:
>
> {c'8 c'8~c'4~c'8 c'8~c'8 c'8}

\new Voice \with { \remove "Note_heads_engraver"
                   \consists "Completion_heads_engraver"
                   completionUnit = #(ly:make-moment 1/4)
                 }
{c'8 c'2 c'4 c'8}

PNG image

> I've been searching for a while but I haven't been able to find
> mention of this anywhere though I might not be using the correct
> search terms.

completionUnit is likely a v2.19 feature.  At least the v2.18
documentation does not mention it yet.

--
David Kastrup