Re: moving tuplet number nearer to beam

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: moving tuplet number nearer to beam
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2019 15:39:41 -0700

On 2019-04-01 1:16 pm, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
Folks,

if I use `\magnifyStaff', the tuplet number is too far away from the
beam.  How can I move it nearer to the beam?  Looking into
`tuplet-number.cc' I see a `padding' property with a default value of
0.5 (and which is apparently completely undocumented).  However, doing
something like

  \override TupletNumber.padding = #4

has zero effect...

padding (for TupletNumber) only comes into effect for Y-offset when considering kneed beams:

%%%%
\version "2.19.82"
{
  \tuplet 5/2 { b8[ b'' b b'' b] }
  \once \override TupletNumber.padding = #1
  \tuplet 5/2 { b8[ b'' b b'' b] }
}
%%%%

Otherwise, the computation is simply the average of the end positions of the bracket (whether they are visible or not):

%%%%
\version "2.19.82"
{
  \time 3/4
  \tuplet 3/2 { d'4 f' e' }
  \tuplet 3/2 { d'8 f' e' }
  \override TupletBracket.positions = #'(5 . 4)
  \tuplet 3/2 { d'4 f' e' }
  \tuplet 3/2 { d'8 f' e' }
}
%%%%

As such, the solution is to tweak the TupletBracket:

%%%%
\version "2.19.82"
<<
  \new Staff \with {
    \magnifyStaff #(magstep -5)
    \override TupletBracket.padding = #(* 1.1 (magstep -5))
  } { \tuplet 3/2 { f'8[ g' a'] } }
  \new Staff {
    \tuplet 3/2 { f'8[ g' a'] } }

%%%%

Note that 1.1 is the default value for padding, so I have simply reduced its value proportional to the desired magnification.

-- Aaron Hill