Re: Harp_pedal_engraver: an overengineered solution to a niche problem

From: Dan Eble
Subject: Re: Harp_pedal_engraver: an overengineered solution to a niche problem
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2023 09:09:33 -0500

On 2023-12-07 05:12, Saul Tobin wrote:

I’d welcome feedback and I’d be happy to submit this as a pull request for
either OLL or Lilypond itself if there is interest.

They're "merge requests" on GitLab, but they smell as sweet.  You would likely get more engagement from busy developers if you submitted a number of right-sized merge requests with regression tests.

I extended
side-position-interface::move-to-extremal-staff to allow for placement of
grobs below the top staff if direction is set to CENTER.

merge request (though it sounds questionable as stated)

IMO note-name->string should be changed to accept an
integer instead of ly:pitch, to be consistent with
accidental->text-accidental-markup.

merge request

I’ve also duplicated note-name->markup,
because the original implementation doesn’t allow for printing naturals,
and also because for some reason it inserts a space between the note name
and the flat sign, which IMO is quite ugly (this is a general issue I see
on both Mac and Windows when entering flat signs in markups, not just with
that function).

merge request

--
Dan