Guile - State of 2 / Release of 3

From: Jahrme Risner
Subject: Guile - State of 2 / Release of 3
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2019 21:00:45 +0000

Hello all,

I recently saw that Andy Wingo (the primary maintainer of Guile) gave a talk
about the upcoming release of Guile 3 (projected for “Spring 2019”).

https://www.gnu.org/software/guile/news/
https://fosdem.org/2019/schedule/event/guile3fasterprograms/

Currently version 2.9.1 is serving as the beta release for version 3.

For me, this announcement has raised a couple of questions:

1. What is the state of Guile 2 support right now? I know that there is a
configuration command that enables experimental support, but what are the
current limitations preventing the adoption of Guile 2 as the default version
of Guile?

2. I understand that part of the issue with Guile 2 was a slowdown in
performance due to the way in which LilyPond uses Guile; if substantiated,
would the alleged doubling in speed compared to 2.2 place Guile 3 as a better
candidate for the version of Guile to replace 1.8?

More generally, if someone was interested in working on Guile support, where
would be the best place to start? Also, is there anyone who has been heading
the work on moving to a newer version of Guile?

Best wishes,
Jahrme