Re: macOS 64-bit

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: macOS 64-bit
Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2019 05:26:44 +0200 (CEST)

> I have been working on building a 64-bit macOS (x86_64-apple-darwin)
> release.

Very nice!  And thanks for your very detailed e-mail.

> One option for build LilyPond for 64-bit macOS is Homebrew. Building
> LilyPond with Homebrew has been met with partial success, but it is
> unclear whether the ongoing work to make that method production
> ready would be worth the effort.  My full comments about working on
> Homebrew are at the bottom of this email.

I suggest to drop Homebrew in favour of MacPorts.  On first sight
Homebrew is much more `shiny', certainly appealing young, dynamic
users.  However, its decision to only support a very small set of
features and macOS releases makes it very `apple-y' in a bad sense
IMHO.

Not having time yet to explore this further, MacPorts allows the
building of packages that can be installed and executed stand-alone,
see

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2019-03/msg00041.html
  https://lists.macports.org/pipermail/macports-users/2019-March/046530.html

and follow-ups.  By streamlining MacPorts's `Portfile' for
`lilypond-devel' it should be possible to reduce the number of
dependencies a lot, possibly leading to something useful.

  https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/tree/master/textproc/lilypond-devel

> In addition to the pull request, I have also have work sitting on a
> branch that is not yet ready for formal review, but if anyone else
> is interested can be seen here:
>
>   https://github.com/Jahrme/gub/tree/add_darwin-64

I think all of those patches can be already added to GUB.  Please
provide one or more pull requests.

> The current roadblock is Perl which will not compile on macOS. The
> log states that the configuration script cannot find the standard c
> library and several attempts to "point" the script to the library
> have been met with disappointment.

Perhaps it makes sense to look how MacPorts does it?

  https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/blob/master/lang/perl5

BTW, Mojca is on the lilypond list, too – maybe she can assist.

    Werner