Re: macOS 64-bit

From: Karlin High
Subject: Re: macOS 64-bit
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2019 21:31:03 -0500

On 4/5/2019 5:41 PM, Jahrme Risner wrote:
next step would be to examine the offerings on
     https://opensource.apple.com
and hopefully be able to create the necessary portions of the SDK exclusively
from components explicitly release as open source by Apple.

That's exactly what I was thinking, too. I've collected a list of cross-compile projects and was reviewing their methods and requirements, looking for a way to have Linux build a "hello world" command-line executable for macOS without running afoul of either GNU or Apple licensing.

Some Apple Open Source things are GPL2 license, and some are Apple Public Software License. The Free Software Foundation's review of the APSL states a preference for the 2.0 version, which they apparently influenced.

"
We encourage everyone who uses any version of Apple Software under the APSL to use the terms of version 2.0 rather than that of any earlier license...

...we recommend you do not release new software using this license; but it is ok to use and improve software which other people release under this license.
"
<https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/apsl.html>

For broadest compatibility, I was looking for the oldest components that could produce working software for the newest macOS and have the APSL 2.0 terms. But I hadn't got very far yet. I gather you can offer more skill and capacity for this than I currently can.
--
Karlin High
Missouri, USA