Re: Problem with guile-2.9.1-prerelease

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Problem with guile-2.9.1-prerelease
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2018 18:46:56 +0000

On 10/11/18, 12:35 PM, "lilypond-devel on behalf of Urs Liska" <address@hidden
on behalf of address@hidden> wrote:

    Am 11. Oktober 2018 20:17:45 MESZ schrieb Karlin High <address@hidden>:
    >On 10/11/2018 12:59 PM, David Kastrup wrote:
    >What level of optimism is appropriate for that claim?

    I don't think that tells us very much. From 1.8 to 2 they added
"significant improvements" that caused massive performance problems for our
specific use case.  And I woulcn't bet too much money that the improvements you
mention specifically address these issues ...

On the other hand, the 3.0 test that they report on indicates that the new JIT
compile code is almost as fast as 1.8.  And the way around the performance
issues with 2 was to use precompiled bytecode because the compiler was slow.
This new JIT compile claims to not need bytecode, so I am optimistic....

Carl