Re: Caesura, n-th time :)

From: Maximilian Albert
Subject: Re: Caesura, n-th time :)
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 00:53:56 +0200

Werner LEMBERG schrieb:

Applied.  I've modified the shape of the straight caesura to be more
in sync with other feta glyphs; I've simplified and `metafontisized'
the code additionally.

Thanks! I was aware that the code I sent over was slightly complicated (as Han-Wen correctly pointed out). But my first attempt back in March or April had the problem that adjacent curved corners *looked* as if one was larger than the other although mathematically they had the same "size" (i.e., radius). This was due to a different amount of blackness caused by the slant. Therefore I manually tweaked the code this time so as to achieve more balanced glyphs by having roughly the same area filled by each rounded corner.

I'm surprised that you managed to do it with this much simpler approach because I'm sure I tried this myself. The "blackness" is not 100% the same for all corners, but it's hardly noticeably at all and I guess it doesn't have to be anyway. Thanks again for reworking and incorporating this.

BTW, regarding your comment in an earlier email about asymmetrical corners:

Regarding `noteheads.s[012]slash', this is not true.  If you use
mf2pt1 to generate the feta fonts you can see that.  I rather suspect
an artifact of the current glyph generation with mftrace.

After seizing your suggestion and playing a bit with FontForge (not much, though), I still believe that the mentioned glyphs have rather unbalanced corners - unless I'm missing something obvious. I don't mind in any way, just thought I'd mention it because Han-Wen complained about the same aspect of the first caesura draft from spring (where he was absolutely right).

  Max