libtool using AC_CHECK_TOOL to find file

From: Uwe Kleine-König
Subject: libtool using AC_CHECK_TOOL to find file
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2023 20:24:44 +0200

Hello,

while cross-building a package I noticed a warning emitted by configure:

        checking for arm-v7a-linux-gnueabihf-file... no
        checking for file... file
        configure: WARNING: using cross tools not prefixed with host triplet

This was added in commit da2e35273572 ("libtool: replace some references
to /usr/bin/file and /bin/sh") by using AC_CHECK_TOOL to find the file
program (included in libtool 2.4.7).

I wonder if using AC_CHECK_PROG would be more appropriate here. Or is it
really expected that file is installed as a cross tool using a host
triplet prefix? The commit log doesn't mention anything in that
direction (and before that commit "/usr/bin/file" was used).

I'm not familiar with libtool development, so didn't even try to prepare
a patch.

Best regards
Uwe

Industrial Linux Solutions                 | https://www.pengutronix.de/ |